Friday July 19, 2019
4:30 PM – 8:00 PM
FRANKLIN, Tenn. (June 9, 2019)—The biggest backyard party with over 1,800 pounds of fresh catfish is set for Friday, July 19 in the Grassland Community of Franklin as Bethlehem United Methodist Church hosts the 45th BUMC Fish Fry on the church’s shaded grounds at 2419 Bethlehem Loop Road off Hillsboro Road.
One of the longest running events in Williamson County, Fish Fry Chairman Mike Loring says the event is a good old-fashioned social with bluegrass, swing band music, all-you-can-eat catfish and a free children’s game area – all helping support church missions.
“Each year, we host around 4,000 of our friends, neighbors and family for dinner on the shaded grounds, delicious farm-raised catfish and an incredible free, children’s area. All the proceeds from the event help support the church’s missions abroad and locally including Kathy’s Backpacks which provides new backpacks and supplies for area school children needing assistance which we will pack right after the fish fry,” Loring said.
In addition to the popular Bethlehem Bluegrass Band, 5 Point Swing band is returning to the main stage and Pied Piper Creamery will have their delicious ice cream.
Over 1,800 pounds of pond-raised catfish will be served at the fish fry along with hushpuppies, sliced tomatoes, white beans and delicious cole slaw made from a secret church recipe. The incredible silent auction includes beautiful artwork, sports tickets, home décor, themed gift baskets and more.
The bake sale is always a very popular spot with a variety of items from cupcakes and bread to brownies and cookies said Bake Sale Chair Jane Speer. “The church is known for some of the best bakers in Franklin and will have a huge variety of delicious treats,” she said.
With live music, all-you-can-eat farm-raised catfish and an incredible free children’s play area, the Bethlehem UMC Fish Fry is Friday, July 19 on the shaded grounds of the church off Old Hillsboro Road in the Grassland Area from 4:30 p.m. until 8:00 p.m., 2419 Bethlehem Loop Road, Franklin (37069). Tickets for adults are $10 in advance at the church and $13 the day of the event. Children 10 and under are always $6 and children under three are free! Hot dogs are available for children and a separate carryout serving area is provided.
For more information, contact the church at (615) 794-6721
Featured Bake Sale Item – Bethlehem Blueberry Bars by BUMC baker Lorraine Sutton
• 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
• 1 ½ cups quick cooking oats
• 1 ½ cups white sugar, divided
• ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
• ½ teaspoon baking soda
• ¾ cup cold butter
• 4 cups blueberries – (frozen) thawed & drained
• 3 tablespoons cornstarch
• 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease a 9×13-inch baking dish.
- Combine flour, oats, 1 cup sugar, cinnamon, and baking soda in a large bowl. Cut butter into flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs. Reserve about 2 cups flour-butter mixture. Press remaining mixture into the prepared baking dish to form a crust.
- Bake crust for 10 minutes @ 375 degrees F
- Bring blueberries, remaining ½ cup sugar, cornstarch, and lemon juice to a boil in a saucepan, stirring constantly, until mixture is thickened, about 2 minutes. Spread blueberry mixture over crust and sprinkle with reserved oat mixture.
- Bake in the preheated oven until topping is just browned, about 25 minutes. Cool before cutting and serving.